Sunday, June 11, 2017

Georgetown, Texas, June 2017

Intro
On June 4 and 5, 2017 I decided to start visiting other cities and towns in Williamson County, Texas since this is now where I live. Although I live in a rural area, I'm still part of the Austin developed area. Driving further away from the state capital puts me into decidedly rural areas, even within Williamson County. The cities and towns are listed in the order I visited them, except for a collection of peculiar locations listed as my last post.

Georgetown
This is the county seat so I found the county courthouse, effectively in a center square. In the square were many markers and some statues usually about people that were significant in the founding or development of Georgetown. One marker of more recent vintage was dedicated to a lawyer who was one of the first in the nation to prosecute the KKK. Around the central square were a wide variety of shops and some office fronts all for local businesses. There is a university in the town which I didn't visit, but I did make it to Lake George. I spent some time at the shoreline around a picnic area. Later I found out if I had driven in a different direction I could have gone over the dam that created Lake George.


No comments:

Post a Comment