Thursday, August 6, 2009

Casper, WY

August 5: Post 1 - In the morning, after breakfast, I headed back to City Hall. I got there a little before 9 AM, but they were open. After a few questions, I got to the right person to get a map. However, they had to print a new map which would take an hour or so. In that case, I decided to go up to the Tate Geology Museum. But first, I went out and took a few more pictures of City Hall. The morning was much brighter than last evening so I got a cleaner picture.


As I mentioned before, The Hall of Justice was next to City Hall. I took a picture of that as well this morning. It didn't come out very well, so I've provided a shot from yesterday. I didn't go in, but it was right next to City Hall.






So I drove up to Casper College, but was unsuccessful finding Tate. I stopped in the library and they showed me where the museum was relative to them. The woman who was helping me made a copy of the map she used so I has something to use. After using the map I found the museum without any problems.

The museum was one open room with a lot of exhibits. Once side actually deals with the chemistry of minerals and oil. However, the rest of the room is devoted to bones and archeology finds. This includes a few assembled skeletons or skeletal sections. They also had some drawers that could be opened to find some rocks to look at and feel. It took about 45 minutes to go through, which was about right for my schedule.

After the museum, I went back to City Hall. Unfortunately, the drawing still hadn't been produced, so I made arrangements for them to mail the image to me.

Finally, I went to the Fort Casper Museum and historic site. The museum dealt primarily with early settlement and development of oil in the area. I didn't take any pictures. Outside was a 1930s reconstruction of Fort Casper. Most of the rooms had different functions. There was actually a switch between the buildings being used for trading and as an army post. I did get some pictures of this which are combined above.



Here's a slideshow of the photos from my time in Casper, Wyoming.



Here's a slideshow of the photos from the previous evening that I didn't post yesterday.

After I finished with Fort Casper, I had to get out of town in order to make it to Cheyenne before all of the sites closed. That's the subject of my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment