Saturday, August 8, 2009

Salina, KS and down to Oklahoma City

August 7: Post 1 - After getting up and having breakfast I first looked for a map (unsuccessfully) and then headed for town hall - I had an address and had been given some other directions by a clerk last night. I had no problem finding the town hall, but the building is also the town library, so I actually parked at the wrong end of the building and had to walk around to the other side (good exercise). I started out at the county side of the building and was directed to the city side of the building. Then I went from the zoning office to the GIS area. One of the engineers came out and after I told them I was leaving as soon as possible, he went back and started printing out a new map. I paid at the cashiers and then waited about half an hour. While I was waiting I noticed they had a free map of the city on the table, so I was able to get a road map finally. I was out before 10 AM.

The town (technically a city) was actually a fairly good size and took a while to drive back to the freeway entrance. I noticed a few other government-looking buildings but didn't have time to stop. I did stop for some drinks before I left the city and came across an area with a bunch of tombstones and a house with a stone engraving sign on it. I wasn't sure if the stones were business samples on the front lawn or an old city grave.

The drive down to Oklahoma city (about 250 miles) went generally according to schedule. I made it down at about 2:30 PM. I stopped for gas about 30 miles outside of the city. I noticed I wasn't getting as good gas mileage as I thought I should (about 38 mpg instead of something over 40). I decided I should keep track of the octane rating on my next trip.



Here's a slideshow of the photos from my time in Salina, Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment