Monday, August 3, 2009

Great Falls, MT

August 3: Post 1 - Over the weekend I stayed in Great Falls. I didn't make it to city hall (I already have a zoning map), but did get to a few other places.

First is an arch out in front of the library. It's an arch in semi-rough cut stone. It also has some waterworks as you can see. I've been to Great Falls and the library (it is a wifi hotspot) many times, but only in the winter. I didn't remember the arch before, but thought it was because the water was shut off and the area was buried in snow before. It turns out this is a recent addition and was just activated within the last month. I never would have made it as a detective.

On Sunday I went to the Veteran's Memorial overlooking the Missouri River. It is relatively new (2006) and lists service members from all branches and throughout Montana. No dates or specific wars were noted, so I don't know how far back the listings go. The photo only shows the inner ring of panels. There is an outer partial ring that holds at least as many names. There was a small booth with a computer to help people find a particular name. Due to summer heat, there was a fan in the booth to cool the electronics. I guess you can't think of everything.

After that it was down closer to the Missouri and the world's shortest river (allegedly). According to helpful signs, water comes from an underground stream many miles way that goes through a limestone bed and then gets forced up to the surface. The photo shows almost all of the river. In the middle left part of the picture is a pool through which most of the water comes out (I think it might be man made). The water overflows the pool, flows down the broken rocks and (off camera) flows into the Missouri. Total length - maybe 30 feet.

Finally, a picture of my favorite building in Great Falls - The Paris Gibson. It currently an place for art exhibition, but was originally built as a boys school. I've been trying to make a decent model in Sketchup for GoogleEarth, but I'm rather bad at Photoshop.



Here's a slideshow of the photos from my weekend in Great Falls, Montana.


Sunday was an end to lazing around and it was back on the road on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment