Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Greensboro; Thursday July 29


Today I traveled to Raleigh by way of Greensboro. I was only stopping at Greensboro for the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park. The park was created around the turn of the century to commemorate a Revolutionary War battle that took place in the area. There was a visitors center where you could see a film explaining the battle. Then there was a tour around the area (which was, at least in part, the actual battlefield) to several sites explaining different aspects of the battle. The original intent of the group was to create monuments of commemoration to the battle, including a big one of General Green who commanded the US army at the battle.

I drove to all of the stop points and walked to some of the monuments that weren't directly at the stop points. I missed one of the stops and had to walk back to it. I think it took about 2 hours to see everything. There were a few other cars, bikers and walkers but it was relatively empty. It was fun to "explore" to find all of the monuments. Additionally, at all of the stops and several other places, there were signs to explain what happened in the various locations. I was in a reflective mood at the end of the visit.

From there I went to Raleigh. Although I had a map and path planned, I took a wrong turn and ended up in the city before I expected. I was still able to make it to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment