Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 27, 2011 Brockport, NY

This day I started out in search of the Soldiers' Monument. I took along my camcorder and camera (John gave me an "Indiana Jones" satchel to carry everything.

First I took some pictures and recorded video of the sign. Traffic was pretty heavy on Owens Road, so my comments were sometimes rumbled and whooshed over. After I got done with that I repositioned the car (other side of the road, further off the road) and took everything down the path that was visible from the road - although the monument wasn't.

Although I got a complete recording of the trek (with commentary), the camera was often looking up to the side rather than ahead so often I was commenting on something the viewer couldn't see. There was a row of trees about 50 feet from the road that seemed to cut off the path. However, the path jogged to the left, which you couldn't see from the road because another tree blocks the view. After a few more yards I could see the tower straight ahead.

Next along the path was a line of brambles which cut across the path; however, someone had cut them back so they were out of the path. The path became very clear after the brambles, although the grass was waist high.

Along the way I spotted the two grave sites that remain from the cemetery that the tower was originally supposed to watch over. There was a small flag that had probably been put during Memorial Day which was just a few weeks ago. The names are visible on both headstones but some of the other writing is unclear. I noticed that the photos had a slightly different color balance than my eyes so different words were visible in the picture than I could originally see. I wonder if fiddling with the photos in Photoshop would help?

After I was done remarking on the graves I went back to the patch and came over a small rise. At that moment I saw a deer and her baby eating on the path. The didn't notice me so I was able to get some video of them just grazing. There were some focus issues so I couldn't get closeup video. Also, I kept walking instead of standing still so the images are annoyingly shaky. Anyway, I made a noise which got the baby's attention, who alerted mom and they both scampered into the trees.

The tower was much as I remembered it. The top was missing some chunks. Most of the rest of the tower looked fine except that a lot of stones to the left of the archway. The plaque was clearly readable. There seemed to be a metal pole leaning to one side in the tower. It's my understanding that this is what's left of the spiral staircase. I have photos and video of the view up the tower from inside with the outside light creating a glow at the top. There are warnings somewhere not to come near the tower because of falling stones, but I've never seen stones fall and almost everyone has poked their head in.

At this point, something stupid happened - or at least I thought it had happened. I thought that I hadn't had the camera recording during the walk up because I misread the status buttons. So I changed how I was recording to resolve the issue. I headed back, taking some pictures of the graves and repeating commentary. I then went back to the beginning of the trail and tried to record commentary again. It turns out the first take had been recorded correctly. The second take was not recorded because I didn't interpret the status buttons correctly.

After I was done with the video recording, I tried to complete the final task at the site. There is supposed to be a geocache somewhere near the tower. An encrypted hint suggested that it was under a bunch of logs. I didn't have a GPS device so I didn't know where the listed coordinates actually put me. I just walked along the path back to the road and occasionally stepped off the path to look for logs. I did find one pile and tried to look in all of the crevices that were visible, but I didn't disturb the logs that much. I finally gave up and took a few pictures.


My next goal was to go into Brockport and look around. Unfortunately there is major construction along Main Street that I couldn't get into town from East Avenue. I had to go up Park and across the lift-bridge. I parked behind the bank and looked around. There was construction everywhere - even in the parking lot. Next to the old Strand Theater a building had collapsed (I though it had been deliberately torn down but John's House-cleaner said it fell down); they were digging up the street right by Liftbridge Books (which had moved); half of Main Street north of State St. was blocked off and being repaved. I found out later the whole street was blocked off near Morgan-Manning.



I walked around for a bit and took pictures of the construction and the liftbridge. Then I had lunch. After walking by the canal I came back to Main St. and noticed a boat sitting in the center of the canal. I was taking pictures of the bridge control tower when I saw someone drive up with a state logo on the car and figured she was going to raise the bridge. So I raced back to the Main St. side of the bridge and go in position to witness the bridge raising and lowering. I was able to snap pictures of pretty much every state of the raising/lowering. The flash popped up several times and I have pictures of varying color depending on whether the flash emitted or not.


After that I packed up and went to school. Specifically I went town to Brockport Central School and had a look around. I took a few pictures. One of them showed work that was going on now. From my memory I recall a building where the school busses were parked that appears to be gone. I also found a sign that showed when the various parcels of land went to the village for the school. I got a few pictures of the new school too.

I drove through SUNY Brockport but didn't stop.

From there I headed back to my friends house. I stopped at the Spencerport Tops to get a few things that I had forgotten before.

No comments:

Post a Comment