Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tuesday July 28, 2009 Post 2

Kansas City


My time in Kansas City, Kansas was brief. I found the Rosedale Arch, a Veterans Memorial right off the freeway. Although there was a road right up to the monument, I got confused on a turn and ended up at a school just up the road, so I parked and walked to the Arch. This is a replica of the famous French arch, set away from any major traffic or other noise, at least while I was there. It did suffer from being near a school. There were signs of graffiti that had been mostly removed. Some of the stonework in the park area had broken off and the blue trash buckets really didn't fit the rest of the area. But it was still effective, if hidden away.

Downtown was very simple to get to from there. Just straight up 17. I went through what
looked like a manufacturing area on the way to downtown and also on the way out. City Hall
is right next to the County Courthouse (this one isn't called Historical), another building called the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (I couldn't get in, so I'm not sure if it's an office building or a museum), and a Catholic Church. Then there was the gambling joint opposite the City Hall. Plus, the walk light on one intersection didn't work and on another, the "Don't Walk" sign was so old the center letters were mostly gone and the read light behind them was quite visible.



City Hall - I didn't check the year, but it looks like a function 1980s building. Other than the odd gambling place next door, this looked like a civic center.



County Courthouse - I think this covers a large area, maybe including KC, Missouri. Nice old-style architecture.



Soldiers and Sailors Memorial - I really wanted to get in here. Either it had closed by the time I got there (about 4 PM) or isn't generally open.



Catholic Church - The sign says Saint Mary Saint Anthony Catholic Church. I didn't know a church could be named after more than one person.



Here's a slideshow of the photos from my time in Kansas City, Kansas.

TTFN,

Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment